Whether your child is 1 year old or 35 years old or anywhere in between, it is likely you are or will experience some difficulty in parenting. No matter who you are, if you are a parent you have made your share of mistakes. We all fail at times to be the parent we desire to be. Our goal though is to continue to strive, grow and learn to be a better parent.
Hopefully, the following parenting tips will help move you to your goal:
- If you are neglectful or verbally, emotional, physical, sexually abusive to your child please get professional help! You can change and do better.
- The core to successful parenting is to maintain a positive close relationship with your child. This is best done by having fun together often.
- Accept the reality that you canít control your child no matter what their age. You can only control what will motivate your child to comply.
- Motivate your child with either positive reinforcement or negative consequences. Positive creates a more pleasant atmosphere, but at times you may need consequences.
- Positive reinforcement may include: additional privileges, possessions, experiences, money, time, praise, affection, etc.
- Negative consequences that are most effective may include: loss of money, possessions, privileges, experiences or being given extra work.
- Nagging, yelling, threatening, spanking and grounding are the least effective motivators.
- Show love and respect to your child daily.