How frustrating is it to not be able to go to sleep or to awake in middle of the night and be unable to go back to sleep? Itís extremely frustrating. So what can you do? The body requires a certain amount of sleep, and research has demonstrated the negative effects on both our mind and body functioning when we donít get enough sleep.
Try some of the following tips to improve your sleeping habits:
- Recognize that most people need 7-8 hours of sleep each night to maximize functioning, so plan accordingly
- Physical exercise during the day will help you to sleep at night
- Eliminate any stimulants 4 hours prior to bedtime, such as caffeine or sugar
- Do calming things, such as read a book, watch calming or relaxing shows on T.V. (not the news or intense programs)
- Drink warm milk
- Do relaxation exercises Ė focus on relaxing your body and letting go of the tension
- If you canít sleep, get up and read or write out what is on your mind.
- Focus on calming thoughts or plans, not anxiety, anger or negative things
- If your problem is severe, consider herbal remedies or talk to your doctor about sleep aids
- Try to avoid taking addictive sleep medication for a long period of time
- If your mind wonít stop, and you have racing thoughts, you may need to consider other types of medications that are not sleep aids
- Donít try too hard or get too upset. Just focus on resting and relaxing your body. Even if you donít sleep, it will still be helpful.
- Stop taking naps during the daytime if you have trouble sleeping at night