Teenagers are confusing, frustrating and difficult. They make you feel lost, powerless, overwhelmed, tired, helpless, guilty and anxious.
Having raised four teenagers and published ďTalk-It-OutĒ (Therapeutic Game for Teens) as well as a workbook I have written for teens called ďTake It Up,Ē I have an idea of your difficulty.
Let me give you a few basic principles that may help:
- To get anywhere with a teenager you must first have a relationship that is positive. You must earn the right to be heard - you donít just get respect because you should.
- The best way to build or rebuild a relationship with a teen is to have fun.
- You canít control a teenager - quit trying. You can only motivate them. Use positive reinforcement if possible or you can use consequences. Neither work well without relationship.
- Your teen needs you more than they act like it. Be there for them.
- If they are acting out in severe ways, then itís time to get help before itís too late.