Life coaching is a relatively new field in the helping profession. The difference between coaching and counseling is that counseling is typically to help individuals who are in crisis, and may be stuck in dysfunction and difficulty. Counseling or therapy is to help you get out of the hole, stabilize your life and get on the right track.
The purpose of coaching is to help a person who is at a stable place in life to reach higher, to set and attain new goals, to find more meaning, purpose and fulfillment out of life.
The role of a life coach is to help an individual with the following:
- Clarify their passion and vision
- Identity their core values
- To identify resources to help accomplish their goals
- To help manage and complete their goals
- To encourage and motivate them to hold onto their vision to fulfillment
A life coach will generally contract with an individual for a certain number of sessions. The sessions are usually done utilizing phone and email.
If you are wanting more out of life, but not sure how to proceed or what direction to take. A life coach might be just what you need.