Many people who experience a panic attack fill like they are going to die or go crazy. They will often end up in the emergency room with the doctor telling them they will be okay.
The symptoms of a panic attack are:
- Increased heart rate
- Extreme anxiety without cause
A panic attack is caused when our mind is convinced that we are in grave danger resulting in a fight or flight response. The mind triggers a series of hormones and chemicals that cause the body to react as it does.
30% of the population has experienced a panic attack, so it is not that unusual. The good news is that you are not going crazy nor will you die. It will be important for you to tell yourself that if you are experiencing a panic attack.
Here are some other helpful ideas to combat a panic attack:
- Consider medication if you canít get them under control and you experience them often.
- Focus on your breathing. Breathe in slowly and deeply telling yourself to relax.
- Remind yourself that this is just a bad feeling and it will go away shortly.
- Distract yourself with an activity.
- Lie down and focus on calming your breathing and relaxing your body.
- Pray Ė meditate on scripture or positive thoughts.
- Get angry about the feeling. Being angry can push the fear aside.